{Three best friends sharing health and wellness ideas to create a positive change}

Friday, February 21, 2014

Homemade Healthy Granola, My families Favorite!








Thank you for reading ThreeHealthyMommas! Our blog has recently moved over to Wordpress due to complications with blogger format. Please head on over to our new blog and check it out!

 ThreeHealthyMommas.wordpress.com


If you are not automatically redirected, please click here

















I have had this granola recipe for many many years. My mother started making this for me when I was a child because I am allergic to tree nuts and pretty much every store bought granola has them in it. Not only is it great not being full of preservatives but it tastes AMAZING! My husband takes a bag of it to work everyday and all his coworkers rave about it. So here it is, I'm giving out my beloved recipe. 


I'm going to post two versions of this recipe. The original and then the one I make now that is full of healthy goodness and it still tastes so good.

Original Recipe-                                                                 Healthier Version-
Dry Ingredients:                                                                  Dry Ingredients:
5 cups old fashioned oats                                                    5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup flour                                                                           1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
1 cup dry powdered milk                                                    1 cup dry powdered milk
1/2 cup wheat germ                                                             1/2 cup wheat germ
                                                                                             1/4 cup chia seeds
 Plus whatever you want added in (raisins, craisins, coconut flakes, nuts)

Wet Ingredients:                                                                  Wet Ingredients:
1 cup canola oil                                                                    1 1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup honey                                                                          1 1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla                                                                         1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon                                                                    1 tsp. cinnamon

(The reason the Healthier version has more oil and honey is because I have found that using 100% whole wheat flour makes it a lot more dry so you need a little bit more liquid.)

First Step:
Mix all the dry ingredients into a big bowel and set aside.


Second Step:
Mix all the wet ingredients into a separate microwave safe bowel. Microwave it for 45 seconds.
(Helpful tips: if using coconut oil scoop it into a glass measuring cup and then microwave it to melt.  Also Measure the oil first that way when you measure the honey in the same cup it will slide out easier.)



Third Step:
Pour wet ingredients on top of the dry ingredients and mix them together thoroughly.





Fourth Step:
Spread mixture out on a cookie sheet and Bake for 30 mins. at 250*F
When done let it cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.




Store inside an air tight container  

We eat this all the time. I put this granola on top of my Greek yogurt with fresh fruit. My little girl loves to just eat it plain and snack on it. My Husband takes a bag with him to work for breakfast. Such a healthy alternative to store bought cereal.
Happy cooking and let me know what you think:)

-Shauna

5 comments:

  1. Yum, thanks! I can't wait to try this, we love granola!
    I know coconut oil is all the rage right now, but what is the advantage of it over canola oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your welcome. And yes you will have to try it, we love it for sure. But with coconut oil I should have said I use both because really I don't know what to believe about it completely. It is definitely the rage right now and I have read many articles that claim is cures/helps with many things but then I have also read articles saying that healthy vegetable oils are still better. Check out this website that says things against coconut oil http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health . and then I liked this one that says for it http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/ along with many more websites. I do not use coconut oil in anything else besides my granola and with that I only use it sometimes. I wish I had a great answer for you but I'm just not sure. Check out those websites though. - shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe! I love granola as well. I can't wait to make some. What a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cindy! I'm glad you liked the blog. I hope you are doing well and have fun making granola :) ! -shauna

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete